As spring is fast approaching, please remember homeowners’ responsibility to do the following:
- Clear gutters and downspouts. Repair leaks and loose gutters, and make sure water can flow off your roof and away from your foundation and basement windows, at’least 1.8 meters (6 feet). Direct the flow away from the house. Ensure all downspouts are down.
- Keep an eye on the basement and crawlspace every day for signs of water.
- Make sure your sump pump is working properly before the snow begins to melt.
• Check that sump pump is plugged in at all times.
• Check that sump pump float switch is operating properly and is not obstructed.
• Check the sump pump is not plugged up with debris at intakes.
• Check the sump pump hose is not blocked and it is directing the water away from house.
- Clear drainage ditches and culverts, if applicable.
- Wait until all danger of frost has passed to re-open the valves to outside hose connections to avoid pipes freezing and bursting.
- Make sure the land around your home slopes away from the foundation. Also, check that your sidewalks, patios, decks and driveway haven’t shifted to cause water to drain back towards your house.
- Don’t place items you value on the basement floor, place them at a higher elevation.
The FISHER RIVER HOUSING AUTHORITY is not responsible for personal belongings in the home that are damaged. It is the individuals’ responsibility to protect their personal assets.